A table dressed
In Autumn red and gold,
Flickering tapers beckon –
The feast awaits –
An amber bird, trussed and tied,
Overflowing with succulent stuffing,
Rests in a fragrant cloud of scent,
Next to humble mashed potatoes
And glistening candied yams,
Sensible salad and unassuming rolls.
A hush of appreciation falls
As the finely dressed are seated
Before the best china and crystal,
Spreading linen cloths across their laps.
Hand in hand,
A mumbled prayer of thanks
For goodness given,
Is all too soon
Drowned out by pungent words
As battle lines are drawn.
Thanksgiving isn’t going as planned. Illness has struck our house, and Goose and I are taking up the couch, covered in blankets, dozing to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade.
We don’t have a turkey. Mom and Dad were covering the meal this year. I even got out of side dishes because Monday and Tuesday were busy. We do have a ham in the fridge and a pie on the table, so there’s potential for a quick and easy dinner for those who aren’t sick.
Our plan was to head to my parents’ house yesterday and stay a couple of days. Their side of the mountain was hit with a snowstorm. People were stuck in traffic for hours, and I don’t mean 2 or 3… more like 5. I can’t imagine driving in that mess, but we were willing to make the effort.
In spite of the sad turn of events, there’s always something to be grateful for.
- Whatever I have is temporary. I keep in mind those who suffer from chronic and debilitating conditions.
- I have a small, but warm and cozy home to recuperate in. I remember those who may not be so lucky.
- I have my husband and two of my four kids around me. I think of those who are celebrating the holiday far from family.
- I didn’t have to drive through the poor conditions. (I guess I’m thankful for that.)
- I’m thankful we thought to get that snow blower for my dad last year. He’s 75, and I don’t like seeing him shovel his rather large driveway.
- I may not have the whole Thanksgiving spread, but there is food in the fridge. I know from teaching that for many there isn’t.
Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving! I hope your circumstances are better than mine today. 🙂